The story of the founder of Rubans Accessories is one of the most incredible stories seen in Shark Tank India.
One of the most essential qualities that distinguish a great entrepreneur from a good entrepreneur is Perseverance. This perseverance is what helped the founder Chinu Kala to survive at the age of 15, being homeless with only 300 rupees to build a ₹65 crore yearly revenue bussiness.
Rubans Accessories is a high-quality and trend-setting fashion Jewellery brand.
Let us check out the inspiring story of Rubans Accessories.
Rubans Accessories Owner
Chinu Kala is the founder of Rubans Accessories. At the age of 15, she had some differences with her father and he told her to leave the house.
At that time her biological mother was working in Saudi Arabia and she was living with her stepmother, she was already facing a lot of issues with her. So, she just packed 1 pair of clothes along with ₹300 rupees in her pocket, she left her father’s house.
From Nalasopara station on the outskirts of Mumbai, she caught a train and came to Mumbai Central station. She spent two days at the station, and while purchasing ₹5 rupees vada pav, she calculated how many days those ₹300 will last. This is when she realized that she will have to work.
She could not ask for her mother’s help because her contact with her mother was sparse. She talked with a lot of people at the station and luckily she met a woman who offered her the job of door-to-door sales.
The woman who opened the door of the first doorbell she rang slammed the door in her face. Heartbroken she cried for three hours, after which she realized that if she gave up she will have to go back to her father’s house. So she picked herself up and was determined to make a sale that day and she sold 3 pieces.
She did a couple of jobs after that and got married after a few years. Then she participated in Mrs. India Pagent. It was one of the most beautiful experiences of her life and here she noticed that a beautiful piece of jewelry can enhance the entire look.
In 2014 she thought of combining her years of learning and love for fashion to start Rubans Accessories.
In 2022 she was also invited to IIM Ahmedabad to teach students about the lessons of life.
In 2020 her husband Amit Kala quit his job and joined Chinu Kala full-time in her business.
Shark Vineeta Singh who already knew this story confessed that whenever she is down, she gains strength from Chinu’s story.
Rubans Accessories Review
Their pieces are indeed beautiful and it is a one-stop destination to meet all your jewelry needs. Here you will find a wide range of jewelry that includes Earrings, Hand Jewellery, Jewellery Sets, Head Jewellery, Rings, Chains & Necklaces, Kaleera, Mangalsutra, Bracelets, Maatha Patti, and Floral Jewellery.
All their products are made in India. Most of the are manufactured in Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, and Rajasthan.
They design 80% of their jewelry and the rest 20% is curated. This brand started at an investment of ₹3 lakhs and they have sold their pieces to more than 25 lakh customers.
Vision– To become the biggest fashion jewelry brand in India.
Their products range includes:
They have accessories for all occasions:
Their wide range of collections includes
- Iconic Luxury
- Heritage Kundan
- Handcrafted Oxidised
- Divine Temple
- Diamond Blush
- Modern Magnum
- Soulful Chandbalis
- Classic Jhumkas
- Intricate Boho
- Vibrant Pastels
- Everyday Chains
- Daily Essentials
Their repeat customer rate is 30%. As far as Myntra is concerned they are their highest-selling brand for the past 3 years. Their consumer rating for Myntra is between 4.5 to 4.8.
Rubans Accessories Shark tank
The original ask was ₹1.5 crores for 0.5% of equity at ₹300 crores valuation.
(2020-2021)- ₹29.7 crores
(2021-2022)- ₹51 crores
(2022-2023) estimate projections- ₹65 crores
Chinu and her mother own 81% of the bussiness and the rest 19% are with Myntra Accelerator Program.
Peyush Bansal was out stating that now in order to grow they will have to build a team, which takes time.
Amit Jain wanted to come as a cofounder, bringing his tech expertise to the table, but the founders were not open to that because of this he pulled out.
Anupam Mittal gave the offer of ₹1.5 crores for 1.5% equity at ₹100 crores valuation.
Aman Gupta, Namita Thapar, and Vineeta Singh gave an offer of ₹1 crore at 1% equity and ₹50 lakh debt at 12% interest at ₹100 crores valuation.
The founder’s counteroffer was to remove the debt. This is when Namita Thapar clarified that debt is cheaper than equity. So the founders accepted their initial offer.
Where To Find Them
LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook
The one quality that helped the founder Navigate from Rags to Riches is the strong belief that she has in herself. Such stories not only showcase some essential entrepreneurship lessons but lessons about life too.
So next time you catch yourself struggling through life, you can take inspiration from Chinu Kala’s story and pick yourself up.
You might also be interested in reading our reviews on
- WTF! Where’s The Food Asian food restaurants at affordable prices
- Singh Styled Beard Grooming products for Sikhs
- The Plated Project artistic pieces for home decor, dinnerware, and gifts
- Brevistay Cheap Hourly Booking
- Subhag provides devices that enable to perform IUI (Intra Uterine Treatment) treatment at home.